-- Fennel tea (Steep 1 tsp in 2 cups water and wait till the water reduces..filter it and drink)
- Vendayam (fenugreek) soaked in buttermilk
- Fenugreek capsules OR fengreek tea (like above fennel tea) - Start with 3 capsules a day and increase upto 8.
- Blessed thistle
Commercial teas available
- Mother's milk tea, available at wholefoods - drink a strong brew of thiss tuff and pump 3 hrs later.
- Oasis ProLactation Tea
- Take More Milk Plus tea along with alfalfa capsules
You wont have immediate effect with these teas. But after 3-4 days, you'll see a big difference.
- Whole grain Oatmeal. Believe it or not, this is just AWESOME to increase milk supply. I'll attach a tried and tested oatmeal recipe for increased milk production.
- Garlic.. just saute about 10-15 garlic pods with onions, a few tomatoes and eat this with rice and ghee. Or eat Poondu kulambu in tamarind based sauce. This stuff is pure
- lots of milk/yogurt
- Apples, milk and orange juice combination worked well for me. Drink orange juice, wait for 15 mins ..Eat an apple, wait for 15 mins, drink milk... and after 15-30 mins, feed
the baby or pump.
- eat lots of beans - contrary to popular belief, beans dont cause gaseousness..it's under-cooking them that causes it. Soak beans for 8 hrs or overnight and throw away this
water that the beans was soaked in. Sprouting the beans is even better. Cook them till soft..and always add ginger/garlic paste and lots of onions and tomatoes and cummin
seeds...add any other spice that you like. dont use much chilli powder. Avoid Rajma for first 3 months. IF you are a vegetarian, your source of protein is very less and protein
is very important for milk production.
- leafy vegetables(esp green spinach), bitt
leafy vegetables(esp green spinach), bitter gourd, surakkai, manathakkali vatral - all helps.
-Eggs, dates help.
- Use hospital grade double pump.. you can rent it from the hospitals. These pumps are amazing when compared to the ones available for home use. Many of my friends
who have had prblems pumping or breastfeeding, have had good results with hospital grade pumps. When you pump, pump for atleast 10 mins..dont stop after the first 4-5
mins.. Also, use proper sized breast shields when you pump.
- Rest, rest, rest - as much as you can. Sleep whenever you can. The housework can always wait. A rested mom produces more milk than a stresses mom. Take help
when it is offered. Ask help. The baby needs you now. Your body needs you now. Everything else can wait. Listen to soothing music when you breastfeed or even
- Fish, fish, fish!!! salmon, mackerel, dried fish, mutton, chicken, livers are all good..
Nurse often during the night. Prolactin is the milk-making hormone. Maternal prolactin levels peak between 1 and 5 A.M., while you are asleep. Take advantage of these high
prolactin levels by nursing more frequently at night to help stimulate your milk supply. Prolactin also rises after you take a short nap during the day.
The best ways to build supply- naturally- is to nurse- get into bed , skin to skin with baby and stay there for several days just nursing and nursing- drinking lots of water and
eating healthy foods (preferably with some one else there to fetch the water and healthy foods!!!)
If you have started getting your periods, then take a good calcium+magnesium supplement.
Pump after you feed the baby and empty the breasts as much as you can. It works like this.. the more you empty your breasts, the more the milk is produced..
Like a well?? the more you draw water from a well, the more water seeps in and fills it up.. similar principle here.
Let the baby nurse every hour.. even if nothing comes out, let her suckle.. after giving the breast every hour...for 3-4 days.. then you'll notice a difference in your milk
production. If your baby does not nurse, pump every 2 hours during the day and at least once at night. It is all supply and demand.
Alfalfa is one of the more commonly used galactagogues. Can be taken in combination with blessed thistle, marshmallow, and fenugreek.
- avoid red chilli powder or green chillies - use black pepper and cummin seeds for a while.
- avoid using a lot of coconut
- dont eat sweets/store bought snacks/ processed food etc.
- Avoid peppermint, star anise [some garam masalas have this - star anise reduces milk supply!] and sage
Cosleep...let the baby sleep near you.
Dani's Oatmeal recipe to boost milk supply.
Oatmeal increase milk supply but this recipe is even better to boost your supply.
1/4 cup of Red river cereal
1/2 cup of rolled oats (I use the 3 minute quick variety)
2-3 cups of water
2 tbs ground flax
2 tbs wheat germ
1/4 cup of sunflower seeds or nuts
2 tbs of sesame seeds
1/2 an apple diced
cinnamon to taste (i use about 1/2 tsp)
-put about 2 1/2 cups of water in a pot, and the red river cereal and everything except the oats,
-bring to a boil and turn down to simmer covered- stir occasionally- for about 4-5 minutes
-add oats and stir- watch the water level- if it gets too thick, add more water, 1/4 cup at a time. simmer for 3 more minutes and then serve!
I add honey to ours or maple syrup. and of course milk.
Check the link http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/herbal-rem_a.html
FLUIDS. Idi capitallo icha endhukantey everyone stressed that I shd take enough fluids. Plz dont think if we drink milk, we'll produce milk. Itz a wrong notion. Fluids produce milk. Infact some children are lactose intolerant so if the mother drinks too much milk, the baby will have too much gas!
Milk and bread
Poppy seeds halwa
FOODS TO INCREASE MILK PRODUCTION
All of a sudden my milk production went down and thus I started asking all and sundry abt foods which aid milk supply.Idi naa list.
FLUIDS. Idi capitallo icha endhukantey everyone stressed that I shd take enough fluids. Plz don’t think if we drink milk, we’ll produce milk. Itz a wrong notion. Fluids produce milk. Infact some children are lactose intolerant so if the mother drinks too much milk, the baby will have too much gas!
Milk and bread
Poppy seeds halwa
all new moms...
milk increase avvataniki GALACT ani oka powder undi, adi milk lo kalipi morning evening tagali.... elaichi flavour untundi two spoons per 200 ml milk... twice a day... ala meeku milk tagginappatnundi regular ga tagite enni rojulu tagite anni rojulu vastune untayi...
donno abt US but, india lo anni medical shops lo idi dorukutundi... milk production icrease chestundi...
naku sixth month appudu milk taggayi... rendu pregnancies lo baby ki one yr vachevaraku adi vadanu.... no side effects at all... also i didnt use a breast pump... i made sure baby emptied the breast before changing to the other one... mother will get adequate milk if you are eating a balanced diet, including all greens, vegetables, yogurt and sufficient fluids...
GALACT try chesi chudandi.. it works and recent ga oka TIAn, kuda vadi chusi bavundani chepparu.... meeru try cheyyandi....