Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Annaprasana


I DO NOT CHECK MY BLOG REGULARLY ANY MORE, PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME QUESTIONS GIVING THE DATE OF BIRTH.  MY CHILD IS AN 8-YEAR-OLD NOW AND I HARDLY REMEMBER HOW CONFUSING AND COMPLICATED EVERYTHING WAS BACK THEN.. I STILL KEEP THIS BLOG UP JUST FOR THOSE WHO MIGHT NEED HELP.. BUT PLEASE DO NOT EXPECT ME TO RESPOND AND ABUSE FOR NOT RESPONDING.

Image Source

What got me going about this blog is my hunt for this post by Sushma.. the rice/pulse mix for the starters.. just after annaprasana, babyki pettadaaniki semi-solid consistency toti rice. The hunt after 'n' number of previous page hits was a success and there I saw quite a few questions on baby cold/cough/fever repeating time and again.. primarily due to lack of time to check the previous page in a thread with posts more than a 1000, came the idea of collating the data at one place for my reference as well as for those who might need it... okay okay let me put an end to the blah blah and get to the point of post.

Usually, it coastal AP, India, we go for annapraasana or introduction to solids in 6th month.. 6th month 6th day kanaka cheste nakshatram, vaaram, muhurtam dosham lekundaa cheseyyocchu ani nammakar. Some also go by even months for boy babies and odd months for girl babies, look at muhurtham and all and start off.

I personally went with the first choice 6th month 6th day. The ceremony as per Hindu rituals includes a preliminary pooja and also placing of a few things infront of the infant to see what he/she holds or catches first time. The items include
1. Book.
2. Pen.
3. Fruit/food items.
4. Gold.
5. Money.
6. Knife.
7. Some play item.
8. Flowers.

Items might vary as per the custom/tradition of the area.. I had these things.


The items in this pic are the aftermath of the event... got no decent picture without me or the baby, if anyone can provide the items pic, would be glad to replace

The kid is laid on a carpet on the floor with these things laid out at equal distance and whatever he/she holds 1st is the area of interest for his/her rest of their lives is the belief. I dont believe it personally, 'cos the kids tend to go for whatever is closest to them or whatever is eye-catching but the fun part of it made me go for that. By the way my little one (LO) went for a combo.. bananas placed on top of book and pen, touching all three at once and pulling out the bananas.. multitasking ;).

Then comes the part where the parents, mother and father, feed the baby annam paayasam/paravannam with a finger ring, usually father's or some elderly person in the family, preferably God-idol unna ring, dipped in the bowl and making the baby lick and officially the baby is started on solids from that day. Then grandparents, relatives, friends etc., whosoever present at the event site will feed the baby and bless him/her..


Manchineellu, paala buvva, official first meal.The recipe to the porridge (paravannam is simple).

No elaborate cooking... just plain and simple cooking rice to paste consistency with milk instead of water and jaggery and a little honey and a little ghee to top it. no nuts/nut powder or elaichi..


Most of the babies do not actually crawl by 6th month, so not an issue.. it is just a ritual or a formality, keep stuff near the baby let her/him touch it and go ahead with feeding regularly.

PS:  For those in doubt regarding a confusion in the dates, pls. scroll through the comments and calculate accordingly.  I dont really see comments on a day to day basis and end up seeing some comments way past the date some of you want to know... there are a few examples, figure it out through that.

I DO NOT CHECK MY BLOG REGULARLY, SO PLEASE REFRAIN FROM ASKING QUERIES ABOUT DATES. 

49 comments:

  1. Hi Ladies...!


    Maa cousin daughter ee sunday annaprasna chestunnaru. aa papa ki eddaru mama lu unnaru.....
    ite annaprasana ee mama cheyyali... I mean first preference evariki pedda mama ka chinna mama kaa ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess anyone would do, elder one preferably.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a simple and useful description of the ritual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Annaprasana can be done on 6th month 6th day irrespective of muhurtum and all?

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, that is what I mentioned in the blog right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the simple procedure for Anna Prasana, especially for those of us living away from Bharat.
    It is highly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, the information which you gave is very useful for all the people who are living abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 6th Month ante, it is when baby completes 5th months and enters 6th Month?

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes, puttinaaka 5 months nindipoyaaka 6th day.. and totalgaa 5 months 5 days aipoyaaka.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my baby born on 15th November so annaprasana on 20th April or 21st April?one more thing we will do this depends on date of birth or thidhi of birth?

      Delete
  10. My baby born on 15th November so 6th month 6day is April 20 or 21?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey anon it would be April 20th... and it starts from the day of birth... that is 15 Nov to 14 Apr completes 5 months begins 6th month 1 day and so it is 20th.. hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much.It is very helpful for me.

      Delete
    2. It should be based on Tithi based on Pournami and Amavasyas

      Delete
    3. We belong to Krishna District in Andhra Pradesh and it is the general rule and an accepted practice that we follow... any other idea I have no idea!

      Delete
    4. Useful info :) Loved the way you explained the procedure

      Delete
  12. Thank you so much for your reply.Very helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  13. Oct 20th morning 2:30am then what is the 6th month 6 th day means; 25th or 26th March...?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good article.

    Hey, is there any vedic reference that we can do the 6th month 6th Day?

    If so, which calender they are referring to? In olden days I think they used follow Hindu/Lunar calender not Solar Calender (may be I am wrong)

    if you know please clarify

    Thanks


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure about where it has started or which calender they are following but it is being passed down from generation to generation in telugu-speaking, especially coastal AP families, so that is how I know it.

      Delete
  15. My male baby born on 2nd November'12 so 6th month 6day is April 8th or 9th ? Please confirm my dear frnds. its URGENT

    ReplyDelete
  16. Other than 6 month whats the best month 8 or9 month for annapraasna

    ReplyDelete
  17. my daughter born on 22nd March 2013. Please help me with the following:

    1. Can we do annaprasana on 27th August 2013?
    2. Any muhurthams needed?
    3. Do we need to follow even/odd months? In such case 27th Aug isn't applicable?

    Many thanks in advance for your help ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry for some odd reason all the anonymous comments are going to spam from my inbox, so did not see the comment.. hope the kid and you are having fun at meal time..

      Delete
  18. my son was boarn on 4th june 2013...n m planning to do his annaprasana on 17th nov as it is poornima.is it ok.plz suggestt me as there is no one for me to sugest

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nov 9th would be as per tradition but as a mother, what your instinct feels or gut says is right, if you want to start the kid on solids on Poornima day, just seek the lord's blessings and go ahead without any doubts in your mind is what I would say personally.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 6th month 6day is not as per english calander - being Hindu traditional function, it should be Hindu calender i mean we need to see birth thithi. if some one born on Chaitramasa bahula padyami - 6/6 date would be bahula Shasti in Aswayujamasam.

    ReplyDelete
  21. is there any logic behind items kept at annaprasana, my son touched sundarakanda book, next gold & silver, can i know is there any other info about this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. my husband don't have god idol ring.can i use my ring with god laxmi idol? please reply

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of course... you can...good luck and happy parenting.

      Delete
  23. Hi, As per 6th Jan 2014 comments by a anonymous user...do we need to follow Telugu/Hindu calendar or your date calculation? I think thithi calculation makes sense..please help me in getting clarity. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice info...,
    We r celebrating today ie 5 months 6days tarvata....1day late Coz occasion is TELANgana day

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi,
    My son born on 17th feb 2014 in afternoon at 1:15 PM. Do we have to consider 17th feb is as one day for calculating annaprasana date. Which is the best date to do annaprasana july 22nd or july 23rd. Technically if i count it will be from July 22nd 1:15 PM to July 23 1:15 PM. July 22nd is tuesday. We are not interested to do this on tuesday. Can you please help me out.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Usualgaa 6th month 6th day cheste elaanti vaaram varjyam muhurtam dosham undadu antaaru... if there is Tuesday sentiment you can contact your local priest for an alternative muhurtam,maybe then you can pick what you like from the options.

    For me personally, Mangalavaram is also called jayavaram so I dont really mind that day or think about tweaking it :).

    Good luck and happy parenting.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Annaprasaranam roju paayasam a plat and spone tho thinipistharu gold or silver. Silver plate and gold spone compalsary na

    ReplyDelete
  28. hello everyone, my son born on 21 Feb 2014 ...can any one confirm the 6month 6 day will falls under 27th of August 2014? or 26th of July 2014? I am bit confused which one to consider either 6month completed one or just entering one? it would be great help if any one can confirm the date? thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hai, my daughter born on june 4 but just after 5mins it is june 5th. So which day is 6th month 6th day. Is it November 9 or 10. Please advice me. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello please let me know the date of Annapraasanam for my child who born on june 4th just 5mins before june 5th. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi , my daugther born on 30th may'14 .can i do annaprasan on 5th nov'14 . please help me out little bit confusion ?
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  32. Edanna addanki vaste 6th month 6th day rojuna emi cheyalo telupagalaru maga pillalaki

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello, My son born on 14 Aug 2014, what will be the my son first feeding day either 19 Jan2015 or 20 jan 2015. Could any please clear the confusion..... Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  34. My son is born on 19th Aug 2014.when should be his annaprasna .thank u.so for planning to conduct on Feb.need ur valuable suggestion

    ReplyDelete
  35. which milk should i use to make paramannam?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Dear all

    Whether the aanaprashana shall be held at father's home or mothers home of baby girl...please help me

    ReplyDelete